Saturday, May 18, 2013

DAVIDIA BLOOMS AFTER 18 YEAR WAIT

my brother's davidia bloomed after an 18 year wait. my brother writes:

"1n 1995, I was given a 2 year old seedling of Davidia by a friend.  Davidia is a very rare tree, and it is famous for taking up to 20 years to bloom.  Every year for the past 18 years I've been looking in vain for buds and flowers.  I looked just this week.  It's been a running gag that I won't let us even think about moving until the dang thing has bloomed.

Today I was showing another friend around the garden, and he remarked "Oh, your Davidia is in bloom."  WHAHOOOO! " 
above is a long-established davidia at the arnold arboretum

my brother's tree with it's 4 flowers, above, and below...

(brother lives and gardens in massachusetts)

4 comments:

miss m said...

What an amazing bloom. (I guess he can move now).

Gloria Freshley Art and Design said...

Hi Em,

I saw some of these trees in bloom in our neighborhood just this week. I don't believe I have ever seen them in bloom before and I certainly had no idea what they were! Wow, hard to imagine the rhyme or reason of trees taking 19/20 years to bloom! We planted our vegetables today. Happy gardening in the potager to you!

dinzie said...

They are a beautiful tree..Didnt realise the need for such a long wait for it to flower though!! think I've left it too late to grow one ......

Stella Rivera@Online Accredited PhD Programs said...

That is an amazing story. I know the feeling of finally seeing a plant either come back or bloom. I do not have anything as exotic as a Davidia but even for lilac trees and hydrangea I am always watching them. The flowers are really unique and I enjoyed the photos.

My homepage: Online PhD UK Programs